Did you know we spend a third of our lives sleeping? Yes that’s right, it is estimated that 33% of our lives are spent in bed, therefore investing in a good quality mattress is essential. If looked after properly a first class mattress can last up to 15 years, however if you’re putting a mattress into storage there are a few do’s and don’ts you may wish to know in order to protect your investment.
✔︎DO CLEAN AND CLEAN AGAIN
Before putting your mattress into storage, whether it be in a basement, attic or storage unit it’s a wise idea to give it a good clean before you do-
- Start by giving your mattress a vacuum. Vacuuming a mattress thoroughly removes dust, dead skin flakes and dust mites. You can either use a hand held vacuum cleaner or the upholstery brush on a upright vacuum. Vacuum both sides of the mattress and don’t forget the edges.
- Next remove you should remove any stains, this can be done by using regular upholstery shampoo, however you may want to check the care label on your mattress before you do so.
- Lastly freshen up your mattress and remove any odours by sprinkling it with baking soda. Rub the soda in gently, leave for 15 minutes and vacuum again. Baking soda helps to pull out any moisture.
DON’T LEAVE IT EXPOSED
Investing in a good mattress cover is a no brainer. Mattresses can be exposed to all kinds of danger once removed from the confines of your bedroom. There’s dust, damp, mold, sharp edges and even bed bugs to contend with. Buying a heavy duty mattress cover is essential, Britwrap’s Award Winning ‘Reusable Mattress Bag’ provides the perfect solution and here’s why –
- FABRIC – The bag is made from an extra heavy duty 195gm coated woven polypropylene fabric that will not rip or tear protecting your mattress from any superficial damage. The fabric is breathable and keeps out moisture whilst it’s thickness revents bugs from penetrating or nibbling their way through the fabric – a common problem amongst plastic covers.
- VELCRO CLOSURE – Velcro closures, located at the top of he bag, seal the mattress inside protecting it from dust and dirt.
- HANDLES – It’s reinforced carry handles make the mattress easy to manoeuvre when you’re transferring it from your bedroom to either the basement, attic or moving truck.
- REUSABLE – We’ve tried and tested our bag and it can be re-used up to 70 times!
- SIZES – The bag is available in a range of sizes to fit the following mattresses Full, Twin XL, Queen, Eastern King and even the California King!
✔︎ DO CONSIDER CLIMATE
If you intend to store your mattress in a storage unit you may want upgrade to a climate controlled unit which will stay cool in the summer and heated in the winter. Severe temperature changes aren’t particularly great for preserving the condition of your mattress, even if it is covered. If you are storing your mattress on a long term basis, whether it be in a basement or attic you may want to use dehumidifying desiccants. Electric dehumidifiers are expensive to run however using high performing dehumidifying desiccants can reduce costs significantly. The salt and modified starch inside the packats absorb moisture from the air. This reduces relative humidity levels by 50% thus minimising the risk of condensation and subsequent mold and mildew damage. They’re a simple yet effective indoor climate controlling solution.
✔︎DO THINK ABOUT POSITIONING
It’s perfectly okay to carry a mattress on it’s and lay it on it’s side short term. However, for best results you may want to consider lying your mattress over flat topped furniture or on a pallet to mimick it’s natural positioning. The coil and raw materials within a side stored mattress can settle out of their natural position over time which may impact on the cushioning. The important thing to remember is not to place anything heavy on top of the mattress as this will damage the springs and internal workings.
So there you have it, the ultimate guide to storing a mattress is complete! Following these do’s and don’t ’s will prolong the life of your mattress for as long as it may live.
If you’d like to purchase a Britwrap mattress bag you can shop online here.
Interested in other Britwrap products? Call 0151 934 1250 and speak to one of our friendly sales team.